Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Photoshop: How to Make Dotted Line Selection [VIDEO]

What is line selection? and how can it improves your blogging? I'm sure you have seen at least some pictures on blogger with dotted/dashed line area selection on it, particularly on beauty tutorial pictures or step by step make up application pictures. And because not everyone knows the trick, I'm gonna show you how to make dotted area selection with lasso tool in Adobe Photoshop (with video!)

dotted line selection, marking certain areas on pictures.


If you are a beauty blogger who loves to post up step by step pictures of your make-up looks, tutorials, or something like that, it's a great thing to utilize Adobe Photoshop (or any other software) to improve your post quality. With dotted line selection, your tutorial is supposedly become easier to understand.

MAKING SELECTION

Open Adobe Photoshop. We'll be using lasso tool (I prefer to use polygonal lasso tool but the choice is totally up to you). Set feather at 0 px.


Load your picture (let's say you are also using eyes make-up picture). Click on polygonal lasso tool from tools panel then click somewhere along the lash line, outer line, or anywhere you wish because it makes no difference where along the object you begin your selection with the Lasso Tool. Continue drawing an outline around the area of photo you need until you go back to where you start. Once it connected, a selection is created and you'll see a moving lines outlining your area.

Tips: if you make mistakes when working with polygonal lasso tool, press 'backspace' to undo.


Right click > Make work path. You'll now have a solid line outlining the area.
Click on 'T' (TEXT) button on the tools panel. Then click the work path to begin typing. If you want to make a dotted line, continuously press (.) dot. For dashed line, you can continuously press (-) hyphen symbol.

................................. for dotted line
-------------------------- for dashed line


Now it's time to adjust your font kerning. You don't have to if your dotted line already looks awesome. But if the dots are too close together, let's space them apart by adjusting kerning percentage and font size.

Photoshop kerning adjustment

From 100%, set to either 150% or 200%. It's totally up to your liking. The bigger the percentage, the wider the spacing between font would be. Adjust it wisely. Don't forget to ctrl+a (select all) the dots before you adjust the kerning.

Spacing between font is too tight, make it wider by adjusting kerning

ctrl+a (selet all) the dots before adjusting kerning

This is the final look of dotted line selection (kerning set to 200%, font century gothic)
photoshop tutorial dotted line

You could style the line to your heart content, either dashed, dotted, spacy, or tight. Just anything that suits you the best. You can also change the color of the lines to whatever color you want. To do so, ctrl+a on the lines and simply click on the color palette then select the color you like. Not only that, you can resize it by clicking the layer then press CTRL+T.

Another sample of line area selection for make-up tutorials:
photoshop tutorial dotted line

Please check my video below video to watch "how to Make Dotted Line Selection in Photoshop"


Thanks for reading my photoshop tutorial: how to Make Dotted Line Selection and If you have any question, just leave me a comment. I will reply as soon as possible :)

Kimstyle

60 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial babe! I love you! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tutorial <3
    xx
    beauthi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tutorial! :D Pretty eye btw! hihi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the tutorial Kim, I'm really blind about photoshop (-_-;;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this is so helpful! i didn't know how to do this before :) I should start doing photo tutorials with this <3

    http://www.pinkoolaid.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the loveling comment on my blog, dear!
    I follow you on GFC and Bloglovin, hope you will follow me too!
    Kisses
    www.descude.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I'm following you back already :)

      Delete
  7. Wah I never do this before, but I feel like my Photoshop knowledge level up XD
    Hasuhana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have photoshop but i am not familar with it. you are kind of professional, thanks for sharing

    welcome to my blog

    http://www.fashionculturediary.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog <3
    I'm following your blog from now!
    I would love if you could follow me :D
    http://nails4babes.blogspot.com/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I never heard of this way to make dotted lines~ usually I get like a rectangle/square/round brush and edit it so there's spacing and change the shape dynamic to directions. Thanks for the extra photoshop knowledge xD I'm still super n00b.
    Your lenses are so pretty btw!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aaa...!!! this is so helpful thank you..!!

    www.chubzlicious.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial,thanks for this post
    Lina88makeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this tutorial. I actually just took pictures for my everyday makeup look tutorial and I've been using my circle brush on photoshop to make those dotted lines. This is going to be so useful for future tutorials.

    xoxo | Yu from Spine Breaker Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. great tutorial! I love your blog and followed you, hope you follow back :D thanks for the lovely comment on my blog also :D

    Margiessims.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for this tutorial!! I'm the one who wrote you an email haha >_< I've been craving for this tutorial! If its possible, can I request a photoshop tutorial on how to do stuff with the colour balance option on photoscape or any other photo editing program? I dont understand that S-curve thingy etc T_T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made some tutorial about color curve years ago but forget it, harharhar...that one sucks. I usually play with color balance (ctrl+b) in photoshop, while curves (ctrl+m) is used to adjust brightness and contras. Will be making more photoshop tutrorial in the future :)

      Delete
  16. @all: thanks for your comments everyone :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful tutorial, this is really helpful! :)
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
  18. it's true, very nice tutorial!!! :)

    http://lamodalena.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great blog♥

    How about follow each other?
    I follow your blog. Waiting for you♥
    My Blog: http://juliemcqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a great post! thanks for sharing!

    lifeisashoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for sharing this helpful post!! :) It makes me so happy! ♥
    http://itsmeeejennyy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for the tutorial ;)

    www.misstyameyo.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. You made it look so easy, Kim. Thank you for sharing! I am sure this is very handy for those ladies who want to achieve that effect.
    **************************
    Fox my Style/ Bloglovin / Facebook/
    Let us stay connected. xo
    **************************

    ReplyDelete
  24. omg I can't believe I haven't found ur blog sooner!
    this is super helpful, so many details!
    good job girl:D

    | The girl with the dreamcather tattoo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great blog♥

    How about follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  26. omg you don't know how many years I've been waiting to know how to do those dotted lines , 'cause it would totally improve my makeup tutorials! Thank you very, very much :))))

    ReplyDelete
  27. Its a really great tutorial doll, I dont have a good relationships with technology and informatics but looks very easy with this post! Thanks a lot for your lovely comment, you have a very pretty blog, What about following each other?
    Kisses

    http://www.alisagromova.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a cool post, love it. *__*
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great photoshop skill! Amazing

    Can’t wait to see more of your upcoming posts. Have a great day! :)

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    http://www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the tutorial!! It's really useful ^_^ please do more <3

    Anyway do you wnat to do a follow-for-follow? ^_^

    Have a good day!

    Sherry from ♕ SheemaSherry ♕ blog (www.theshimmeringsheema.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  31. great sharing and tutorial.. although it looks like a lot of work :)
    thank you for your comments on my blog, sepatu is indeed Bahasa, not Hindi.
    greetings from Bali! http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing tutorial. Thanks for stopping by & would you like to follow each other
    on GFC, Google+ & Bloglovin? Lemme know & lets keep in touch!


    X
    http://subhamrai.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amazing tutorial!
    Have happy holidays!!!

    XX
    http://fetish-tokyo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love pictorial tutorials! So much more useful than mere words. Thanks sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow this is incredible. I used to be a pro at Photoshop when I was at school but after not using it for so many years I've forgotten most things. I don't even think I was aware of this little trick before so thanks!

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow this is really great! I never see posts like this, thanks for sharing!!

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
  37. this is so useful for these beauty tutorials! thanks for sharing! :)

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete
  38. I used directly the tool Elliptical Marquee Tool and the result was the same but with a circle, thank you so much for this tutorial very useful and great for me because I love it put nice edition on my pics!
    Thank you sweetie! I hope more upcoming tutorials~
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for your comment. I follow your blog :) www.monic-lifestyle.blogspot.com

      Delete
  40. Great tutorial. It's a very helpful post :) I can't wait to see upcoming posts and tutorials :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a handy tutorial! Thanks for describing it out so well with great screenshots. I'm always trying to improve my blog images. Your tips are really handy :D

    http://love-celestial.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete


  42. Great tutorial !


    http://www.featherdressy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Lovely post dear! I so love the images. Happy Monday! :)

    xoxo;
    WHATKENNYHEARTS.COM
    Like On Facebook
    Follow On Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW!!amazing photoshop tutorial girl!! such a great post!! your blog is perfect!!! you have beautiful layout and very interesting posts!im following you on gfc!!! it would be really great if you could visit mine and follow me too! kisses!

    www.fashionizein.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. great tutorial! :)

    http://www.raellarina.net/

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your tutorial is really helpful! Thanks for sharing :)

    http://jeninapearl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hello this is Grand Plastic Surgery, you have such a great make-up skills! Check up more about Korean Beatuy : )
    http://grandplastic.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Very cool post! Great tips! =)
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    I'M BACK WITH A NEW POST on http://whattostyle.blogspot.com/

    Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin

    xoxo,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  49. Waah i love your tutorial so much! Thanks for sharing this because i really dont have idea about this!

    www.sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete